Help Westwood every time you shop at Publix.
Turn your grocery money into donations for your local school without spending another dime. Join Publix Partners today to raise money for Westwood Elementary!
1. Go to www.publix.com/myaccount
2. Log in if you already have an account or sign up to create an account. Make sure you enter a phone number. At checkout you will be typing in your phone number.
3. Within My Account, find the “Settings” tab.
4. Locate the “My Publix Partner” box and choose “select school”.
5. In the School search box, type “Westwood Elementary School PTO” then “Update”.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I already have a Publix Partner card for Westwood. Will it still work?
- For a little while only. The keychain cards will work until September 30, 2018. Beginning Oct. 1, 2018, Publix Partners will only work by entering the phone number attached to your Publix account during check out.
- I already have a Publix account for digital coupons, etc. Do I still need to do anything?
- Yes, you must attach a school to your account in order for the funds to be forwarded to Westwood.
- How does the program work?
- A percentage of each eligible transaction made using your Publix Partners account is allocated to your selected school. Publix Partners’ schools receive checks up to four times per year based on earnings they accumulate from the purchases you make at Publix.
- All purchases are eligible with the exception of gift cards, alcohol, lottery items, money services, postage stamps and prescriptions, purchases from Florida stores, purchases from GreenWise Market locations and purchases made through Publix Delivery powered by Instacart and Publix Curbside powered by Instacart.
- For every $37,500 spent cumulatively by your school’s participants, Publix will award your school $250. Once per quarter, if the school has at least $250 in earnings, a check will be sent to the school and they decide how to best put it to use.If your school doesn’t achieve a $250 payment in a quarter, any credit will be carried over to the next quarter
- How will Westwood Elementary School PTO use this money?
- Donations from Publix Partners will be used towards general PTO activities like: teacher appreciation meals and gifts, classroom grants, positive behavior recognition programs for students, and community building events.
- Do you have to be a parent of a Westwood student to participate in this program?
- No! Anyone can donate to Westwood through the Publix Partner program. Encourage any grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, co-workers, or friends to sign up and select Westwood Elementary School PTO as their chosen school to support.
Westwood teachers have been busy raising funds to give back to United Way this week. They were challenged to raise $3,000 with 100% participation.
The United Way donations go a long way to help our families at Westwood. The United Way supplies the fuel packs partnering locally with GraceWorks, as well as supporting the FLIPS reading program at Westwood.
Thank you to our teachers for their hard work and dedication to help give back. To celebrate their hard work, if they meet their financial goal and participation goal, they will have a cookout on October 10th from 10:30 am-1:30 pm.
Dear Westwood Familes,
September is ATTENDANCE AWARENESS MONTH! Next week will be ATTENDANCE WEEK at Westwood Elementary School ! I’m so excited to reward our students every day they are present at school next week. It will be a fun way to reinforce the importance of having good school attendance. Attendance has new mandates from the state this year for expectations for attendance. We want our students to be excited to come to school and learn each day as long as they feel well and can! It is our hope by encouraging and rewarding students for good attendance we can help support meeting the state mandates for attendance. I have attached below how we will reward students each day for coming to school. I have also attached research behind elementary school attendance. Keep in mind the state considers a child who misses 18 or more days (excused or unexcused) chronically absent. Our goal is to prevent students from being chronically absent. Since August our students have been in school a little over 98% of the time! That is great! Thank you to the families of Westwood for valuing every instructional minute! You all are amazing!
The 2nd grade butterfly release is scheduled for September 28th! Family members of 2nd grade students are invited to attend! More information will be coming from your child’s teacher! Be on the lookout! I have heard great things about this event! I look forward to it!
READ, READ, READ!!!! Westwood is focusing on students reading with a new initutive called Westwood Reads! Suzanne King our literacy coach is heading this up. She and I are very passionate about reading! Westwood families are very supportive and are always asking how to best support their child’s academic progress. I ask that you read with or to them! Reading is a powerful gift! You’ll notice in our school lobby we have books on book shelves. Students are welcome to take any book they like and keep it to read! Students who scored 90% better than their peers on reading tests, read for more than 20 minutes a day – exposing them to 1.8 million words a year. Students who scored at fifty percentile, read on average only 4.6 minutes a day – exposing them to 282,000 words per year. Reading for 20 minutes each day is a very powerful way to support your child’s academic growth… not to mention it’s fun! Happy reading!
Don’t forget to check out our school website and PTO website! Lots of great information on both!
When in doubt ask! If you have any questions please reach out to your child’s teacher, Mrs. Julie Lankford or myself! We are here to support you and your child in their educational journey!
Westwood Elementary School, Principal
Fax: (615) 472-4901
Featured Westwood Classroom Canvas of the Week September 17 & WES PTO Happenings–Where is Westwood PTO money going?
Posted in Uncategorized
WES PTO Happenings–Where is Westwood PTO money going?
Thank you WESTWOOD FAMILIES and community! The PTO has been busy already this year. Due to your generosity and support the PTO has been able to give back to Westwood students and teachers in a variety of ways. Since the start of the school year we have supported the following:
- PBIS reward/rally day
- Staff appreciation
- Bikes for attendance awards
- 10 new coolers for field trips
- Blinds for the cafeteria
- Most recently, $2000 has been awarded in classroom grants. These grants provide students with enhanced opportunities for learning and growth and teachers additional resources to provide these opportunities. Snap Circuits to enhance the construction of the STEM lab, rewards for AR parade, flexible seating for classroom, school wide membership to Starfall, and STEM resources for classroom such as K’Nex, Lego’s, construction sets, etc. have been awarded. The PTO plans to distribute more grants in the spring as well. Thank you for your continued support.